Neuro Anatomy Guidelines for Second Year (DPT, MBBS, BDS)
Recommended books for this region
- Clinical Neuroanatomy by Richard Snell
- Netter atlas
- YouTube Channel ( selfless medicos)
Pg. nmbr may be different in your new edition books from mentioned here so carefully mark in ur books
Ch # 1 Introduction and organization of the nervous System
- This chapter is not imp for Seqs just do it for mcqs
Division of the CNS
- 02 just give it a reading and do memorize the terms mentioned in spinal cord.
- Spinal cord occupies 2\3rd part of vertebral canal
- Spinal cord ends at Lower border of L1 ( in adults) and at L3 level in infants ( vv imp mcq)
- Table 1-1 ( must read)
- Injury to the spinal cord and Brain ( for mcqs) pg. 17
- Spinal Tap level Pg. 19
- Hemorrhage ( also present in head and neck region ) pg. 23
Ch # 2 The Neurobiology
Again this chapter is also not imp so just give a read to some specific topics
- Types of neuron ( unipolar bipolar and multipolar )
- White matter
- Grey matter
- Neuroglia Cells ( supporting cells)
- Ependymal cells
- Functions are vvvv imp. Table 2-4 pg. 55
Ch # 3 Nerve Fibers, Nerve Receptors
- Nerve fiber ( definition)
- Peripheral Nerves ( pg. 80 )
- Cranial nerves 12 pairs
- Spinal nerves 31 pairs
- Nerve Receptors
- Table 3-3 ( imp)
- Type, location, stimulus, modality, fibers
- Injury of cell body
- Injury of processes
- Wallerian degeneration
Ch # 4 SpinalCord and Ascending Descending Tracts
- Gross Appearance of the Spinal Cord Pg 137
- Structure of the Spinal Cord
- Table 4-1 vv imp
- Nerve cell groups in the anterior, posterior and lateral columns
- Fig 4-6 and just do check all the diagrams of different levels given in book
Must memorize the location and sensory modalities sensed by nucleus
Sympathetic outflow T1-L3
Parasympathetic outflow Cranial + S2-S4
Fig 4-11 vvv impshowing the tracts Pg 143
Read for once and build Ur concept so that next topics will be easy for u
Give read to all the tracts so that u can understand easily
U should also practice to trace all the pathways e.g Fig 4-14 do all the pathways like this figure
Vv imp viva question Spinal leminiscus = lateral spinothalamic tract + anterior spinothalamic tract + spinotectal tract
These all are v imp (bas ratta maar lo inko lekin smajh kar)
All clinicalare v imp for mcqs for seqs
But the most imp clinical is (Lesions) Pg 167 from seqs viva point of view
Upper motor neuron lesions
Lower motor neuron lesion
All the signs reflex effects in short complete chapter is vvv imp.
Ch # 5 The Brainstem
- Pg 196…
- Introduction to Brainstem
- Gross appearance of Medulla
- Complete detail each and every term (vv imp for viva)model achy sy karna h
- Fig 5-9
- Internal Structure
- All cross sections (level of decussation) with detail and diagram vv imp
- Table 5-2
- Same goes with Pons and Midbrain
- Gross appearance
- Cross section
- All figures
- To understand must check figure from Atlas
- Clinical Notes
- Effect of Pressure
- Arnoid-chiari Phenomenon
- Wallenberg syndrome
- Weber syndrome
- Benedict syndrome
In short u have to do complete chapters. Videos lazmi dekhen to clear your concepts.
Ch # 6 The Cerebellum And Its connections
- Gross Appearance of the Cerebellum
- Fig 6-1
- Functional Areas of the cerebellar Cortex
- Intracerebellar Nuclei Vv imp
(Don’t Eat Greasy Food)
Cerebellar Cortical Mechanism
- Climbing Fibers
- Mossy Fibers
- Purkinge cells ( center of functional unit of cerebellar cortex)
Afferent efferent Pathways are vvv imp for viva and Seqs both.
The Afferent Cerebellar Pathways
- Pathway name
Table 6-1 (imp)
The Efferent fibers
Table 6-2 (imp)
- Pathway name
Vvv imp(for viva mcqs and seqs all)
- Signs and symptoms of cerebellar disease
- Postural changes
- Pendular knee jerk
- Disturbance of ocular movement
- Vermis Syndrome
Ch # 7 The Cerebrum
- This chapter is imp for mcqs and viva.
- Give a reading to the subdivision of cerebrum for Mcqs.
- Fig 7-2
- Fig 7-3
Do these two figures for understanding and clearing the concepts.
- Optic Chiasma
- Tuber cinereum
- Mammillary body
(Must do read these topics.
Third Ventricle (vv imp for viva)
Watch videos and do diagrams and figures from atlas and neuro book both.Models are vv imp of this topic
- All sulci
- All gyri
(Vvv imp for viva) Clinical Anatomy Pg 273
Ch # 8 Cerebral Cortex
- Only do cortical areas of all lobes
- Just do for mcqs and viva w.r.t functioning, location.
Models are v imp.
Fig 8-4 must do.
Ch # 9 the Reticular Formation and The Limbic System
- Skip this complete chapter.
Ch # 10 The Basal Nuclei
- Corpus Striatum
- Caudate nucleus
- Lentiform Nucleus
- Amygdaloid Nucleus
- Substantia Nigra
- Subthalamic Nuclei
- Connections ( just do names)
Clinical Notes vv imp
- Hyper kinetic disorder ( excessive movements)
- Chorea, athtosis and balism.
- Hypo kinetic disorder (lack or slowness of movements).
- Parkinson disease includes BOTH types of motor disturbance.
- Characteristics of all diseases Pg 322 specially Parkinson disease.
Ch # 11 The Cranial Nerve Nuclei and Their connections Plus Distribution
- Names of all the nerves Pg 332
Table 11-2 vv imp
Do detail of 4th,5th,7th, 11th and 12th.
- Clinicals of all the nerves are vv imp for mcqs, seqs and viva.
- Facial nerve Lesions vv imp seq.
- How to test or examine corresponding nerve e.g hypoglossal Nerve by movements of tongue. ( vv imp)
- Exception of hypoglossal nerves i.e. Geniogllus muscle receives fibers from opposite Cerebral hemisphere. ( v imp viva question)
Ch # 12 The Thalamus and Its Connections
- Just do for Mcqs and Viva.
- General Appearance of Thalamus
- Subdivision of Thalamus
- Table 12-1
- Figure 12-3 ( for OSPE)
- Thalamic Hand
Ch # 13 The Hypothalamus and Its Connections
Just do all the Tables.
Table 13-4 (the most imp one)
Ch # 14 The Autonomic Nervous System
Skip this chapter.
Ch # 15 The Meninges of The Brain and Spinal Cord
- Imp for mcqs and Viva.(Also present in Head and Neck region).
- Do complete chapter with Clinicals.
- Figure 15-6 → at middle of cavernous sinus
- Internal carotid artery
- Abducent Nerve
- →at lateral part of sinus
- Occulomotor nerve
- Trochlear nerve
- Ophthalmic division of trigeminal nerve
- Maxillary division of trigeminal nerve
Above complete detail is also present in Head and Neck region and Imp for Seq.
- Do differences of meninges of Brain and Spinal Cord.
- All the sinuses.
- Spaces e.g sub Dural space subarachnoid space
Ch # 16 The Ventricular System
- Do complete chapter for mcqs, viva and SEQS too.
All the Ventricles.
- Choroid Plexus
4th Ventricle is the most imp for SEQ.
Extension of the Subarachnoid Space
- Optic nerve ( with its clinical)
- Hydrocephalus ( imp for SEQ)
- CSF Pressure with its diseases.
Ch # 17 The Blood Supply
Vvv imp chapter for Mcqs, SEQs and VIVA, OSPE.
Do complete chapter with all the diagrams.
- Arteries with its branches name and supply
- Figure 17-2 vv imp for SEQ. ( Circle of WILLIS)
- Figure 17-3 ( for viva and SEQ both)
- Figure 17-5 venous drainage
- Figure 17-7 spinal cord supply
- Cerebral Ischemia
In short this complete chapter is vv imp.